Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Portfolio Update 4Q2019 / The Year-End Review

In the blink of an eye, 2019 4th quarter has come to an end and it's time to usher in the year 2020. Setting new resolutions to meet for the year or years ahead, so as to meet targets ranging anywhere, in varying degree of magnitude. It could be investment goals, academic goals or just some other personal goals to become a better self or to fulfill one's bucket list.





For my blog, you know what each end of the quarter means - It's time for another portfolio update!

Portfolio 4Q2019

Notes
1 - Based on EUR:SGD conversion of 1.5095 to Dec 31st closing price of EUR 0.540
2 - Based on USD:SGD conversion of 1.3446 to Dec 31st closing price of USD 0.965
3 - Alita Resources is previously known as Alliance Minerals Assets Limited. As of 3Q2019, I have decided to write-off Alita Resources due to high likelihood of being a total loss. This may, however remote, change if a miracle happens.

No new transactions has taken place in comparison to the 7th October 2019 update, however there is *a hairline* appreciation in value.

The Year In Review
I have decided to break reviewing the year's events and targets down to "the good, the bad and the ugly". This covers both the portfolio and other goals I had planned for 2019.

You may want to read last year's review as it holds relevance to the rest of this post.

The Good
The Bad
  • Slightly overpaying for Lendlease GCREIT
  • Not being able to invest at a desired pace or invest with a larger lump sum - commission fee is a bummer. I am a fan of gauging my dividends based off Yield At Cost instead of just Dividend Yield.
  • Not managing to add positions to some shortlisted semiconductor stocks before they rallied. These stocks have not hit my target price to consider recycling my funds into such positions. Oh wells.
  • Not having even bigger positions in the REITs to get more rights issues or to make the most of commission fees should I decide to sell.
  • The plan to save up emergency funds as a priority goal will means there is little savings to channel towards the investing warchest unless I can substantially increase my savings by other means, be it further squeezing of expenses or side hustles.
  • I also got to admit, for the whole year, my contents were not to scratch both in frequency and depth. I was also struggling to find the energy to write. 2019 while eventful, was also a stressful year. With the change in employment and traditional wedding completed, I think my creative energy should start to come back.
  • I fell sick the last few days - hit with a fever, cough and sore throat. :( Stay well, guys!
The Ugly 
The only real smear on this year has been the total loss of share values for Alita Resources (short of a miracle). Pretty funny, when I was once sitting on it with 2-bagger paper profit.

Alongside dozens of other shareholders, we are looking into possible actions for both the possible breaches of duties and regulations by the ex-directors, as well as if it is possible to prevent the transference of shares to Liatam for nil consideration.

It is not just about possibly salvaging the situation, but the principle itself: Even if we can't salvage anything, not taking actions as a shareholder for wrongdoings (and I stress, WHEN YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO) just sets a precedent for other crooks to try similar monkey business with shareholders' hard-earned money.

Well, that wraps up 2019.





Going forward into 2020
First, I hope my feeling of energy coming back is genuine and propel me to write better. I still owe myself the promise of doing a huge Alita Resources write-up. I think this will benefit in a lot of ways:
  • Understanding investing into the lithium sector
  • Understanding early signs of any red flags
  • Understanding how the company fell apart
  • Updating on possible salvaging actions
Next, I have decided to give making my blog shows the same between mobile and desktop format, as it seemed to look better on one of the financial blogger's site I visited recently. Mobile site, while looking cleaner, I also feel readers also miss out on other areas to explore.  Change of plans - it looks bad. Probs need to be optimised further.

On the investment forefront, I suspect there will be little (if any) adding to positions or recycling of funds. Off the top of my head, the most likely adding of positions will be to existing REIT positions when rights issue comes about. I am also keen to add position to some blue-chips as well. Having said all that, I hold this does not happen too soon - I need more funds! Hahaha.

Alright, with that, I would like to thank you all for reading, and wishing you a Happy New Year - May 2020 be a good or better year!

No comments:

Post a Comment